Rick Riggin/Official College Football Analyst for The Balance
The ever evolving, the weekly changing FTF Top 5. It’s about how you look. It’s about the eye candy. You can put any metric on a team’s wins and losses. Who they’ve beat, who their opponent has beaten and so on…. But it all comes down to how your team looks, and how would your team would do against elite competition on a neutral field. I feel the “eye test” is the best metric for judging teams.
1. Alabama – This has been the consistent, consensus #1 week in and week out. There’s really no argument/debate here.
2. Georgia – Now we can have a debate. Penn State just trashed Michigan at home. Why aren’t they #2?… Because I feel Georgia defensively can contain Saquon Barkley.
3. Penn State – Definitely a Top 5 team, but I need to see them against elite competition before they move to #2. I’ll get my wish this weekend when they travel to the Horseshoe to play Ohio State.
4. TCU – The Big 12’s only hope as I see it. Oklahoma hasn’t look that great lately. TCU is great defensively, and because of that I feel they can play with anybody in the country.
5. Ohio State – Yeah I know Wisconsin is undefeated, but like I said, its “eyeballs” and Ohio State finally looks the part. They got their sh*t together at the right time. We’ll find out this Saturday, OSU vs PSU.